Pepper Party

Pepper Party

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fighting entropy

This was supposed to show up yesterday. These weeds are still mocking me! But it's too hot to do anything about them today.



We have two raised bed gardens in the back yard. One has a tree stump, more rhubarb than a family could ever need, and some peonies (pink). The other used to have onions in it and now...entropy was winning for a while there in the form of thistles and nasty spiky grass. At least the grass is a pretty color.

As I'm going through, pulling up these stupid weeds, I see their seeds scatter all over the place, setting the stage for next year. They're also in my hair, my socks, my shoes, my gardening gloves - the worst! They are spiky and evil, like millions of little caltrops.

Eric and I don't really have time to tend a vegetable garden. But, more importantly, we have too many other hobbies and this one isn't appealing to us right now. So we have to decide what to do with these garden beds. The rhubarb one is pretty self-maintaining at this point, at least, but this other one needs something new.

Ideally we would take it out entirely, because it's in a weird spot in the backyard and kind of in the way. But until then? I keep thinking of a cover crop, like wildflowers or alfalfa. Any other ideas?

The answer to yesterday's riddle is: a blackboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment