Pepper Party

Pepper Party

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spring is no longer in the air.

The trees have started blooming, some of my tulips bloomed yesterday, it's been in the high 70s and 80s.  And yet...tomorrow we have a "winter" storm warning, 6 to 12 inches of snow expected and below-freezing temperatures. Goodbye, fruit! (Although the raspberries aren't anywhere close to blooming, so raspberry jam is still a possibility.)
On the one hand (men), the water is good; on the other hand (de), does it have to come in frozen form?

Today I was a judge at the undergraduate research poster session. I saw posters on algae genetic engineering, EEGs on children, the economics of NHL team fan bases, imitating blood vessels with PVC pipes, and the benefits of migration for mule deer. The conversations were stimulating, everyone was on their best behavior, and the research some students did was at a very high level.

When I left the venue, I was confronted with posters of a different, horrible kind. They were very large and very graphic and very ugly. It was a shocking contrast to the civility of the discourse I had just left! I can't imagine how these posters will enable good conversations. These posters are so rude and disrespectful of the people who have to look at them. It makes me mad every year. There must be some loophole this group is exploiting to allow them to stay on campus all the time, because it makes a lot of people mad!

To end on a good note, I'm teaching my last lab tonight and tomorrow night - next week is their lab final! So spring will eventually arrive, one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment