Pepper Party

Pepper Party

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Four months old!

Seventeen weeks, though. I realized that months aren't strictly four weeks long when I was pregnant, and it still bothers me.

Today we toured the early childhood center, which is run by CSU and includes CSU students as caretakers. This place is so fancy! The building was remodeled and they moved into it in January. It has radiant heat in the floors and lots of natural light and natural materials. They follow the "Reggio Emilia" philosophy, which sounds great. I'm just glad they have a philosophy to follow. I can't imagine deciding against a daycare place because their philosophy isn't suitable. Maybe for a school it would make a bigger difference. These philosophies all seem pretty similar to me.

Because of all the student teaching and training that happens here, there are little booths behind each classroom where observers can watch what's going on. There are cameras and microphones in all the classrooms. I asked if the children were ever part of research studies, and they totally are! When I asked, the tour-giver said, yes, but of course you can always opt out of them. But I think being a part of research is excellent!

Unfortunately they started taking applications in March, and there is a waiting list. But they give priority to CSU-related people, so we still have hope. It helps too that we'll take whatever slot they can give us. We toured with another couple (the husband is also a grad student in the Biology department, and he recognized us, but we had no idea who he was) whose baby is due in November, and they want to start daycare in January. I wish we'd been a little more on the ball about this, maybe not so on the ball as them.

Here's the little punkus, hanging out with his giraffe, in a duck suit and a bear jacket. Don't they worry babies will get species identity issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment